Thursday, December 11, 2008

Gift-Exchange-Eve.

Sorry that my blogs have been lacking “substance” lately (not that they had any to begin with). Not much has really been going on.

Today at work we decorated our office and all had a little lunch together, which was very nice! It was a lot of fun, as well; I really love where I work and the people I work with. It was just a nice little time and really gets you into the holiday spirit. Not to mention, the tree looks beautiful and has just about inspired me to get a move on and get our house ready for the Holiday. Granted, I am at work more than home, so it’s nice for work to be decorated too!

Tonight I went and shopped (feels like I’ve been shopping every night, which isn’t as fun as it sounds, even for me!) for our gift exchange. Gift exchanges for some reason, are just so difficult to me, and shopping for them is probably the hardest part. The limit is (supposed to be) twenty dollars…

I ended up getting a Bath and Body Works gift set of Warm Vanilla Sugar. It smells nive and warm and a little sweet, which is what I love to smell like in the winter. I hope someone enjoys it.

I guess the reason I’m not crazy about gift exchanges is because I feel like I’m socially awkward with things like this (well, most things, really). I hate opening gifts in front of people. I worry too much about my reaction which makes me seem fake, and I swear that’s not even it. I’m just very self-conscious. Now opening gifts, in front of strangers, then exchanging for one I like more (generally the rule in gift exchanges that I’ve been to)? Wow… talk about feeling uncomfortable. I don’t want anyone to think their gift is any less important than another’s, and the same for whatever gift I bring!

I still have this horrible memory of a gift exchange at youth group at my church. To set the scene a little, I went to church alone every Sunday, because my parents didn’t care to join me. So, I was the girl who went alone to church, sat alone, left alone. I was a fourteen-year old redheaded chubster with curly hair, braces, and zero confidence. I was uncomfortable in any situation, really. I summoned up the courage to go to an event at church that wasn’t the regular service; it was a youth group get together before Christmas.

I brought a nice gift for the gift exchange, and while we went about whatever rules apply with such events… I found myself with a small, rectangular present to unwrap. As I peeled back the paper, I felt my heart stop for a second and the blood rush to my face. Beads of sweat emerged as I realized I had to continue tearing back the paper and raise the gift for all to see.


Buns of Steel.


The exercise video Buns of Steel, I’m sure you all know which one I’m talking about, we’ve all probably had a giggle about it at one point or another I’m sure.
But when you’re the girl described above… well, I wasn’t giggling, I felt like crying.
Of course, it was only intended as a gag gift, and nobody could have known that I was going to be the recipient of said gift, but well, that’s just my luck. Thankfully, everyone had a good laugh over it, and someone even “stole” (part of the rules of the gift exchange) the gift from me, jokingly claiming they would put the video tape to good use at home.

Maybe they sensed my anguish, or maybe they simply craved buns of steel.

Of course, I do of course find it pretty funny now. Long story short, gift exchanges mess with my nerves a bit, and we’ll just have to see how it goes tomorrow.

We’re having the holiday party at the nearby Cheesecake Factory restaurant, which should be very nice! That part I am certainly looking forward to!

4 comments:

Remo said...

The idea of gift exchanges and Secret Santa stuff gets my blood boiling. By the time you add up all the little holiday gift-stops we get roped into, it gets dang expensive.

p.s. I give lottery tickets.lol

Bridgett said...

While it's never bothered me, as it's all meant in good fun, I can understand why it would bother some.

But hey, I admire you for going to church alone...that's something I don't think I could do! LOL

Have fun!

XOXO

- said...

I have the Warm Vanilla Sugar in Antibacterial Gel...Love it!

Brandi said...

Ugh Gift exchanges just SUCK unless it's known in advance for just gag gifts. HOWEVER I think any weight loss thing should never be included.

BUT I'm a biatch. : D