Monday, March 23, 2009

Book Review: Shoe Addicts Anonymous

From Amazon.com:
Arriving just in time for beach-read season, the effervescent hardcover fiction debut of cookbook author and romance novelist Harbison features four D.C.-area women who meet weekly to swap and chat about... shoes. Trying to get a handle on her massive consumer debt, Lorna Rafferty posts an Internet ad looking to trade footwear with women who have good taste and wear size seven-and-a-half. A senator's trophy wife, Helene Zaharis, is dreaming of escaping her loveless marriage when she stumbles upon Lorna's post. Overweight phone sex operator Sandra Vanderslice struggles to overcome her agoraphobia long enough to attend the shoe meetings. After a few funny missteps, the threesome finds a fourth member, Joss Bowen, the nanny of a shrewish socialite's hellion boys. Joss couldn't care less about shoes, but uses the group as a reason to get out of the house. Harbison does a fine job of showcasing how each woman is trapped—Lorna by her debt, Helene by her marriage, Sandra by her self-image, Joss by her employment contract—and how the fresh eyes of the group allow them to see themselves in a new light. Harbison creates vivid, convincing characters and handles them well. Reading this novel is like eating a slice of cake.

My Review:
So this was another choice from my book club that I belong to. It's not what we normally pick, since we usually go for more "thought provoking" or discussion starting books. However, this was nominated I believe five months in a row by one of our members, and we finally chose to read it.
I'm not a big "chick-lit" reader. Not because I don't like them, just for some reason it isn't what I reach for in the book store. I did think that this was a cute book, perfect for vacation or some light reading by the pool. So if you are looking for some chick-lit or some light reading, I would recommend you pick this one up!

I have to admit though, I have no idea what the book club is going to discuss tonight about this book...

4 comments:

- said...

Hummm never heard of this or the author. I will look into it. Once Doubleday unlocks my account. I changed an inactive credit card to one that works and since then, they locked my account! Grrrrr.

Bridgett said...

It sounds kind of cute, but gross. I would NOT want to share shoes with people. Foot cooties.

For that reason, not sure I could read this one. LOL

XOXO

Kaileigh said...

LOL! Yeah, I wasn't that interested in this one when we chose it... I guess I'm just more of a purse girl anyways.

Bernadette said...

Sounds like a good beach read for sure...i think I'll pick it up for the summer. Anything about shoes has to have something worth reading ;)

BTW...good to meet you and I look forward to getting to know you.