Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Book Review: The Almost Moon

Hmmm... I realize I finished this book before the book in my "I am currently reading section".

I actually picked this book up first, set it down to read The Historian for awhile, and then picked this back up after seeing a scary movie a week ago, and being too freaked out to read anything scary. LOL, I know, it's dumb.

I have been pretty scatter brained about reading lately, I have been picking things up, then switching to another book. I did finally finish this one this morning though...

The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold
It was hard to find a very good plot summary/review of this book. Here is what I found at a Wikipedia entry that seems pretty accurate:

For years, Helen Knightly has given her life to others: to her mother, to her father, to her husband and now-grown daughters. When she murders her mother, her life changes.
The novel begins with Helen's murder of her elderly mother, Clair. Clair, a former lingerie model
, suffers from an undisclosed mental illness (of which agoraphobia is a symptom), that only intensifies at the onset of old age and dementia. Over the following twenty-four hours, Helen enlists the help of her ex-husband Jake (who becomes an unwilling accessory to her crime), begins a relationship with her best friend's adult son, while on the run from the police. Present day events are interspersed with recollections of Helen's childhood, and her often traumatic relationship with Clair.

My Review:
I have previously read Alice Sebold's other two novels, Lucky and The Lovely Bones. I didn't care for Lucky but I DID really love The Lovely Bones. Sebold chooses topics that are hard to talk about, and for this reason, I think the way she approaches them isn't always enjoyable to read. I thought that The Lovely Bones was enjoyable despite dark subject matter, because of so many other redeeming story lines in the book.

I felt the same way about The Almost Moon that I felt about Lucky. The Almost Moon seemed very forced, and I feel like Sebold relied on her shocking subject matter more than an actual story line. The main character has absolutely no redeeming qualities, in my opinion, and there aren't really any other likable characters in the book. This always makes it hard for me to like a book.

Sebold also seems like she is trying to create more meaning and depth to her writing than is actually there. I can understand that she wants her book to have meaning and to make the reader think, but it just wasn't quite there. Basically, I felt like she was trying much too hard, and the forced effort shows in this book.

So if you decide to pick up any books by Alice Sebold, I would recommend The Lovely Bones over this book and over her memoir Lucky.

Have you read this book? What was your opinion?

5 comments:

Brandi said...

I have LOVED "Lovely Bones" for SOOOOOOOO long. It's by far one of my favorite books, heartbreaking but also heart warming, ya know?

This one and the other I haven't had interest in reading, AND now I reallly don't.

Gracias. :D

Bridgett said...

Thanks for the excellent review. I picked this book up after reading The Lovely Bones. (BTW, how do you underline in your entries?)

I absolutely agree with everything you've written here. This book was so forced, it was obnoxious. I didn't like a single character in the book and I was actually rooting AGAINST the main character by the end of the book. Go figure.

Not sure I'll read many more of Ms. Seibold's books.

XOXO

Bernadette said...

Haven't read her before but now I know which one to pick up :)

Unknown said...

I disagree with many of the readers who have posted comments about Alice's writing. The Lovely Bones is by far my favorite book, and I am currently reading Lucky, which I love as well.

Unknown said...

I disagree with many of the readers who have commented on Alice's writing. The Lovely Bones is by far my favorite book of all time. I am currently reading Lucky, which I love as well.