Thursday, May 7, 2009

Take me to the river...

Yesterday Ariadna and I went to the river (Yuba River). We had planned to go for awhile but the weather had been so yucky and our schedules always conflicted. Finally, I had a week off from school, and she had a day off from work, and we took off and tried to find a swimming hole that I used to go to with my mom when I was younger.

Unfortunately, my mom told me later that she thinks we went to the wrong covered bridge (surprisingly quite a few out here). We went to the Bridgeport bridge, which I believe is one of the longest covered bridges in the states. It doesn't look very long in my pictures, but it is actually quite long.

It was funny, I kept saying to Ariadna, "You know, I just don't remember it being quite this LONG...." Sure enough I was right, but I am still glad I got to see this one too!

Anywho, it was still a great trip and totally beautiful out there... there was a point when we were going up some VERY curvy roads uphill and I looked over the edge... it was scary but so amazingly beautiful!!!

And, as always, Ariadna and I had quite the adventure getting there. We stopped to grab something to take with us to eat, and I'm guessing the owner of the restaurant didn't appreciate some "non-locals" coming into their little place. I'm not sure if we had "city-folk" written all over us but it was strange...

We admired the small-town grocery store and wished a little that we were from a town like that, rather than a town of huge grocery stores, Wal Mart, and chain restaurants. A town where you not only know your neighbors, but you know their family. I don't even know my neighbors on a first-name basis.

Then, somehow we missed the bridge (I was looking out the wrong side of the window, and Ariadna said she saw it but didn't know "that was it" LOL, I think I asked her how many long covered bridges she saw on the way ;) )

And of course, Ariadna almost hit a poor squirrel (Ariadna + Driving = A little scary) who dashed out like mad into the curvy road. I think he heard our blood-curdling screams when we saw him and hopefully ran back into the bushes. We didn't see any squirrel bits on the way back, so I was relieved :)

So that was our trip there, and here are some pictures of our little journey!










This Sunday I think we are going to the *other* bridge with my family for Mother's Day, so I will have to take pictures of our picnic out there.










10 comments:

Monica said...

I live in a town like the one you're describing. Not only does everyone know everyone else here, but everyone also knows every one's business! I swear, as a teen if I was speeding or something, My mom knew all about it by the time I got home. Because you can bet that someone took it upon themselves to call and let her know! LOL

I always swore I'd move away once I was grown. And I did, for 7 years. When I had children I decided that I wanted to raise them in a small town.

- said...

LOVED the photos Kiki, It must be great to be out of school and be able to enjoy the Spring/Summer weather with Friends! Tell Ari I said Hi!

Bernadette said...

How pretty! You got some really great photos!

That's so funny about the small town. My brother lives in a place where everybody knows everybody. I always get looked at like a 'weekender'...LMAO, even though I've seen these people every month for like 15 years ;)

Chantelle said...

Beautiful pictures!

I grew up in "that town" where everyone knew everyone- and also knew everything about them as well. Trust me, not always a good thing ;)

Easton wife said...

Looks gorgeous ! We have one covered bridge in my hometown but I think it is part of someone's driveway, if I went there I would probably hear a shotgun or something lol. I love how you take nature trips and this is inspiring me :)

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures! And the K in the sand! I wanna do that now!
I live in a small town like that. I like it but I dont like the crazy PTA moms, LOL

Bridgett said...

Looks like a really fun day. And a beautiful one too.

BTW, I grew up in a town just like that. :)

Great pictures, love!

XOXO

Terri said...

I grew up in a small town like that in the country, I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world...it was nice..when we got married we moved into the city...where not everyone knows our business :) hehe

What a great day with your friend...great pics... love the K in the sand!

Hugs
Terri

Kaileigh said...

So funny that many of you are from or live in small towns... I could understand the bit about everyone knowing you business... especially when you're a teen!!
It still sounds so great to me though...I guess we always want the opposite of what we have, don't we??

Ms.Emily said...

oh how great to be able to enjoy the nice weather!

loved the pics

ox